The Vénus 185 calibre and “Telda”
The Vénus 185 calibre was launched in 1945 and 2 000 examples were produced in the 1940s and 1950s by Berret & Schmitz of Moutier in the Bernese Jura. This manufacture was absorbed by Valjoux (Reymond Frères, Les Bioux, Vallée de Joux) in the 1960s.
During the 1990s, a few examples are still available and acquired by various watchmakers.
The Charles Nicolet Watch Co. in Tramelan, in the Bernese Jura, obtains around 100 units and fits them, under the tradename “Telda”, into three series of large wristwatches (Ø 37 mm) in the retro look of the 1950s:
· 18K pink gold (limited and numbered edition of 30 pieces).
· 18K yellow gold (limited and numbered edition of 70 pieces).
· Stainless steel (quantity unknown).
Over the years this small manufacture created at the beginning of the 20th century has become, from a legal point of view, “Les Fils d’Armand Nicolet, Fabrique des Montres Telda Sàrl” (The Sons of Armand Nicolet, Watch Manufacture Telda Ltd.)
The same company will use the Vénus 184 calibre (launched in 1941), chronograph, 30-minute and 12-hour counters, triple date and moon phases, to produce another series of large wristwatches (Ø 40 mm):
· Silver, gold-plated (limited and numbered edition of 130 pieces).
At the same time, brands such as Parmiginani, Fleurier (Val-de-Travers) and Panerai, Florence (Italy), used the Vénus 185 calibre.