The Extract from the Archives, dated September 20, 2005, mentioned that this watch was sold on December 14, 1951.
Patek Philippe, Reference 2471
This reference is launched in 1950.
This rectangular-shaped watch is fitted with the Cal. 9-90.
The majority in yellow gold, more rarely in pink gold.
Very few examples were produced.
The watch is so-called “Ram’s Horns” or “Bear Claw” by collectors.
It’s one of the largest and rarest rectangular models produced by Patek Philippe at this time.
The case of the watch was made by Markowski, one of the finest case makers based in Geneva who specialized in unusually-shaped cases, including the Ref. 2441 (so-called “Eiffel Tower”) and the Ref. 2442 (so-called “Banana”).
- Huber, Martin, & Banbery, Alan, Patek Philippe Wristwatches, 1998, p. 132, ill. 185 (black & white Archives photo).
This reference is also produced, in very few examples, with polychrome cloisonné enamel dials, under reference 2471 CD. Two of these watches were sold by Antiquorum, respectively:
· “The Polo Player”
Antiquorum, Hong Kong, auction, May 27, 1991, lot 308, sold for the amount of HK$ 754 800.- (US$ 98 500.- / CHF 143 400.-).
Huber & Banbery, 1998, p. 144, ill. 207 (colour photo).
Now kept in the Patek Philippe Museum, Geneva (Inv. P-848).
· “The Tennis Player”
Antiquorum, Geneva, auction, October 17, 1993, lot 458, sold for the amount of CHF 232 000.- (US$ 163 400.-).
Huber & Banbery, 1998, p. 143, ill. 206 (colour photo).
Now kept in the Patek Philippe Museum, Geneva (Inv. P-921).