LOADING IMAGES
Click to full view

Important Modern and Vintage Timepieces

New York, Apr 10, 2013

LOT 97

PATEK PHILIPPE REF. 1415 WORLD TIME YELLOW GOLD Patek Philippe, Genève, No. 929687, case No. 647123, Ref. 1415. Made in 1946, sold December 20th, 1949. Fine and very rare, World Time, 18K yellow gold wristwatch with an associated 18K pink and yellow gold woven bracelet. Accompanied by the Extract from the Archives.

C. Three-body, solid, polished and brushed, bi-directional revolving reeded bezel bearing the names of over 30 global cities, teardrop lugs, snap-on case back. D. Two-tone silver with applied radial yellow gold Roman numerals and baton indexes, surrounded by a revolving dial in 24 hours for the nocturnal and diurnal hours. Yellow gold dauphine and circle hands. M. Cal. 12???-120, rhodium-plated, fausses cotes decoration, 18 jewels, straight-line lever escapement, monometallic balance with 8 adjustments, self-compensating Breguet balance spring, swan neck micrometer regulator. Dial, case and movement signed. DIAM. 31 mm. THICKNESS 9 mm. Approx. overall length 170 mm. Property from an American Collection

USD 60,000 - 80,000

HKD 465,000 - 620,000 / CHF 57,000 - 76,000

Sold: USD 74,500


Grading System
Grade:

Exceptional

Case: 3

Good

Movement: 3-9*

Good

Scratched

Overhaul recommended, at buyer's expense

Dial: 2-17-01

Very good

Slightly spotted

HANDS Original


Notes

The World Time wristwatch was introduced in the mid 1930s by renowned independent watchmaker, Louis Cottier (1894 - 1966). The World Time system was used by numerous major brands in the Swiss watch industry in addition to Patek Philippe, including Rolex, Vacheron Constantin and Agassiz. The present lot is an example of the celebrated reference 1415 which was introduced circa 1940. The model is distinguished by its teardrop lugs, enlarged rotating bezel featuring the names of at least 30 global cities, and two-tone diurnal dial which clearly indicates daytime and nighttime hours. Patek Philippe confirm production of the present lot in 1946 and its subsequent sale on December 20th, 1949.