Important Modern & Vintage Timepieces.

Hong Kong, October 27, 2018

LOT 410

UNSIGNED, ATTRIBUTED TO HENRY CAPT OR PIGUET & CAPT PENDANT FORM-WATCH WITH VISIBLE BALANCE

18K yellow gold, enamel and diamond-set, open-face, key-winding, escutcheon-shaped, pendant form-watch with visible diamond-set balance

Brand Unsigned

Year circa 1800-1810

Caliber egg-shaped (22 x 14 mm.), gilded brass, with going barrel, cylinder escapement, monometallic balance and blued steel flat hairspring

Accessories original fitted box; gold winding-key

Dimensions 39.5 mm.

HKD 420,000 - 630,000

CHF 52,500 - 78,800 / USD 54,000 - 81,000

REQUEST TO BID
Grading System
Grade: Logo grading

Exceptional

Case: 3-8

Good

Slightly scratched

Movement: 3*

Good

Overhaul recommended, at buyer's expense

Dial: 3-01

Good

HANDS Original

Notes

Genevan pendant form-watches with visible balance Genevan pendant form watches with visible balance, dating from the early 19th century, are extremely rare. They can be attributed to watchmakers such as Henry-Daniel Capt (1773-1841) and Isaac-Daniel Piguet (1775-1841) - associated between 1802 and 1811 - specialised in the manufacture of this type of luxury goods, sometimes fitted with automata and / or music mechanisms, in the form of pendants or rings, regardless of their watches and their snuffboxes. The rare examples referenced are enriched with half-pearls, while the model presented here is set with rose-cut diamonds which show only very rare inclusions. The Patek Philippe Museum, Geneva, kept in its collections few objects of this type, including one signed by Piguet & Capt (Inv. S-99). - Piguet & Capt, Geneva Patek Philippe Museum, Geneva (Inv. S-99). - Unsigned (31 x 23 mm.; with date) Antiquorum, Geneva, April 18, 1998, lot 63, sold for the amount of CHF 48 300. Patek Philippe Museum, Geneva (Inv. S-373). - Unsigned (50 x 33 mm) Antiquorum, Geneva, October 31, 1998, lot 370, sold for the amount of CHF 29 900. Patek Philippe Museum, Geneva (Inv. S-389). Henry-Daniel Capt (1773-1841) & Isaac-Daniel Piguet (1775-1841) Piguet & Capt (active between 1802 and 1811) Specialised in the production of complicated watches, musical and/or automaton scenes incorporated into watches, snuff-boxes or objects. Among the first in Geneva to use the musical mechanism with pinned cylinder and tuned teeth comb. From Ventôse 16, An X (March 7, 1802), to 1811, Henry-Daniel Capt (1773-1841) formed a partnership with Isaac-Daniel Piguet (1775-1841), who was from the same village - Le Chenit - as he in the Vallée de Joux. Their signature was Piguet & Capt. In 1811, when Piguet broke off to join Philippe-Samuel Meylan (1772-1845) in a new partnership, Henry-Daniel Capt continued to work on his own. Following this separation, Capt restarts a numbering of his movements in the 300. In 1830, he went into partnership with Aubert and Son, Place Bel-Air. Their signature was Aubert & Capt. They were among the first Genevan makers to produce watches with chronograph. In 1844, the workshop was at 108, rue Neuve in Geneva. It was then managed by Capt's son, Henry Capt Jr. After a short time, it moved to 85, rue de la Fusterie, and, in 1851, to 177, rue du Rhône. In 1880, the firm was bought by Gallopin and its name became H. Capt Horloger, Maison Gallopin Successeurs, a trademark registered on November 1, 1880, under the No. 44. This signature was only used for watches retailed in their own store, the watches supplied to other retailers being merely signed Henry Capt. Henry-Daniel Capt, along with Isaac-Daniel Piguet and Philippe-Samuel Meylan, was the foremost maker of small musical automata in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Most of his work is not signed, although he sometimes scratched his name on his movements.